Saturday, September 15, 2007

Helvellyn

After riding the coach around so much in the coach we were all starting to feel pretty lazy since none of us have been exercising much and we constantly eat out. Any laziness was kicked out of us today as our strong and fearless leader, Dr. Pate, led our expedition to the top of the third highest mountain in all of England – Helvellyn. I know many of you reading this have been to the Lake District and you know that it is impossible to put into words what it looks like. Everywhere I turned mountains surrounded me and lakes dotted the horizon. Since it rains all the time everything is green and I wanted to take 1000 pictures, but I tried to limit myself. Every landscape is a piece of art and it has probably been written about, photographed, or painted before.
The hike was optional but about 20 of us took the challenge. Dr. Pate gave a foreboding speech about how tough the hike would be and how good shoes and warm clothes were mandatory – some people thought she was joking. When we were halfway up the weather turned very cold and it began to rain. Persevering on we made it to the summit and the view from the top was magnificent. I know I’ll be back here to hike around one day. Be sure and check out the photos.

No comments: