Friday, September 21, 2007

Family Feud

We’ve left York and are on our way to the city of Bath. We only had one day to explore York but I was able to make it to Evensong at York Minster and it was a great opportunity. Worshipping in the largest gothic cathedral north of Italy was stunning and the two hour tour I took of it wasn’t long enough to even get a glimpse of its history. Out of all the old churches we have visited, I could feel the spirit and love of Christ in this one the most. Everyone there was vibrant and glad to say that the reason the cathedral was so magnificent was to reflect the glory and power of God and to honor him.

I have been a part of many culture clashes thus far on the trip, but one of the most funny was last night at the Mexican restaurant we went to in honor of Sally’s 21st birthday. First, there are no free refills like everywhere in Europe so that was fine. Then our group of 20 realized chips and salsa weren’t free so we ordered some ($5.00 for each basket). They arrived and it was a portion big enough for a three year old. We were fine with the lack of free refills on chips and salsa and 2 hours later our food came out. They never separate checks so we all pay in cash in one big pot which always causes drama. But in spite of all the differences I enjoy the culture because it causes us to stay longer, slow down, and enjoy each other’s company more.

Today was our longest bus ride, 9 hours since we left now, but we try and make the time pass by sleeping, reading, and playing games. We just finished a makeshift game of Family Feud where I was Pat Sajaks and I got to choose the top 5 answers for each question. I’ll be in London in two days so all you cultured people reading this who have been to London before please email me all the sites I must see.


1 comment:

Samantha said...

fish and chips, jon-o. fish and chips.